Travel Tips

If you have any questions call Cara at (406) 683-7352

  • An employee must obtain verbal approval to travel on behalf of the University, you will then complete a formal Request and Authorization to Travel form.  The form must be authorized by the supervisor or head of the department
  • Pre-Plan your Trip
  • Make your airline reservations at least 2 weeks in advance, checking with airlines, travel agencies, or online travel sites for the least expensive service available
  • Trips should be scheduled to avoid any unnecessary backtracking and overlapping
  • Make your hotel reservations requesting the State or Federal per diem rate
  • Make your car rental reservations requesting an economical car and refusing additional insurance
  • All airline tickets, hotels and rental cars must be purchased with the UM Procard
  • All travel must be turned in within 30 days of traveling
  • The traveler should make a copy of all Procard receipts obtained to be placed with the Travel Voucher upon return.
  • Turn in all original Procard receipts to the Procard Manager (Patty Rose) for payment
  • Once the trip has been taken the traveler should submit the Travel Expense Voucher with all copies of the Procard charges for that trip as well as all new expenses and receipts for reimbursement
  • It is the responsibility of the traveler to see that all receipts are attached to the Travel Expense Voucher.  Receipts are very important
  • No gratuities can be charged to the Procard while traveling
  • Travelers can obtain a Travel Advance for meals only.  All Travel Advances must be turned in at least 2 weeks in advance of traveling
  • A Travel Advance must be for $50.00 or more